Author Topic: Chinese peculiarities  (Read 5396 times)

smckenzie

• Major
    • View Profile
Chinese peculiarities
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:56:39 AM »
Several issues.

China was not conquered, but reduced to a single chinese flagged territory.

We are fairly clear that:

When China, or anyone, has just two adjacent flags, those flags are in supply, because when trying to trace to two flags you can count the space itself if it is flagged.

China was reduced to one flag and could not trace to any US/CW sources.  It had 3 PP left over at the time, does it keep these PP in storage indefinitely?

Various spaces in china are now in supply by sea, but no flagged space.  Howevr, the US/CW could capture a chinese flag, and it would be in supply.  Can china then (in the next turn) use that space to build, place units, collect income?

Would a chinese unit appear in the first initial phase, even though the space is occupied by only US/CW units?

If not, then what happens?  Does the US/CW need to vacate before a chinese unit appears and then the chinese control the space, collect income etc? And would the chinese be able to do so on the turn that the chinese unit appears?

I am the Allied player, and what I do depends on what the japanese player does, although as he pointed out to me, but I was failing to grasp somehow, with my massive fleet/airforce I own the coast and can pretty much take any space I want on the coast of china.

smckenzie

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese peculiarities
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »
We're getting close to where this matters.  We actually took a break from the game and played another game last week.

Would someone please answer my questions?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 11:57:59 PM »
Sorry - thought John or I had replied to this one.

Chinese units can trace supply to either Chinese or Western Allied production centers - so it can be one chinese and one Western Allied - or two Chinese or whatever.  Chinese units that can not trace supply to 2 supply territories are considered out of supply.

We have played several games where the Chinese are reduced to one flagged factory territory and are isolated from Britain and the US - in which case all the Chinese units are out of supply.

But, if the Chinese can trace supply (through a port for example) to US or British sources of supply, then they are OK.

Like the rest of the Western Allies - they can not trace supply through Russian territories.

Does this clarify?

smckenzie

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »
I'm clear on supply, but:

Can china then (in the next turn) use that space to build, place units, collect income?

Would a chinese unit appear in the first initial phase, even though the space is occupied by only US/CW units?

If not, then what happens?  Does the US/CW need to vacate before a chinese unit appears and then the chinese control the space, collect income etc? And would the chinese be able to do so on the turn that the chinese unit appears?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 08:02:12 PM »
Hi Sean - The Chinese can collect income and place builds the following phase (assuming the US/CW are not collecting the income for the territory. 

A free Chinese unit does not appear - the only appear in vacant territories.  The free units represent local warlord and/or communist troops.  So, they only appear in vacant territories in China.

smckenzie

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 02:05:38 PM »
OK.  Thanks.

The turn I take the space (with the allies)  the chinese could collect the income that turn.  They could not place units til the next turn. (usual rules for placement are you had to control it form the beginning).  I take it I could vacate and get the free chinese unit.

Or I could choose to keep the space allied anc collect income for the allies

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 08:09:41 PM »
yup - to all of these observations - that his how I interpret the rules on China.