Author Topic: Air Transport during the Mech Phase  (Read 3784 times)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Air Transport during the Mech Phase
« on: November 19, 2006, 06:03:05 PM »
Q: Can a bomber transport an infantry or a paratrooper during the Mech Phase? 

Would the fact that the bomber conducted combat during that turn make a difference (i.e. If the optional rule concerning paradrops on the mech phase is used, the bomber and the paratrooper can not have conducted combat earlier in the turn.)?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Air Transport during the Mech Phase
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 01:32:25 AM »
The only way a bomber can transport a paratrooper or an infantry unit in the mechanized phase is by using the optional rule.  Otherwise you can't paradrop or air transport in the Mech phase.

Per the optional rule, for a paratrooper to move during the Mech phase, neither the paratrooper or the bomber conveying him could have moved (and add "participate in combat") during the regular movement phase.

Otherwise wacky things can happen that are impossible to plan against. . .

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 03:54:49 AM »
We are using the optional rule, but this question was not an instance were the attacker was trying to make a paradrop in the mech phase.

He used the bomber in a land combat in the regular movement/combat phase and then landed where a paratrooper was waiting.  The paratrooper had not moved in the regular movement phase.  He then picked it up in the mech phase and moved it to a friendly territory.

As such it didn't violate the stated conditions of the optional rule since it wasn't a paradrop during the mech phase.

I was of the opinion that he couldn't do it, but there wasn't anything definitive in the rules to back me.  So we had to let it go.

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 10:19:14 AM »
I finally found where it says specifically that you are not allowed to air transport a units during the Mech Phase. 

That is in the latest version of the rules (Version 11-06).

It was not in the rules up to this time and it was not clear in your response given above.

Thank you.

Craig