Author Topic: Detroit Game #6  (Read 48867 times)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit Game #6
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 01:41:43 AM »
Allies 4/39

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 01:42:22 AM »
Axis 1/40

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 01:43:04 AM »
Axis 1/40

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 01:43:51 AM »
Axis 1/40

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 01:44:39 AM »
Allies 1/40

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 01:45:25 AM »
Allies 1/40

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 01:46:28 AM »
Allies 1/40

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 01:46:56 AM »
Allies 1/40

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2007, 06:11:28 AM »
Ok - France holds strong.

Now what...

Decisions, decisions...

Will there be a big bloody battle for Paris?! :o

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2007, 07:16:16 AM »
Man, I don't know. . . When left with the choice of counter-attacking Burgundy with the French or defending Paris, I think I would opt for the counter-attack.

It's just not worth the risk to lose all the French on a surrender roll of a 1-2 without having the opportunity to inflict some losses on the Germans - looks like the Allies lucked out though. . .

Erc

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2007, 03:15:22 PM »
France is nearly impossible to defend against a well planned and executed German attack.  Germany had crushed Belgium with a large armored/mech force and built a fairly large stack in the Rhineland.  The French and British players decided to have the French defend Burgundy and Paris with most of their army and the British would land in Normandy.  A single French infantry unit was placed into Picardy.  We had seen in previous games that if the French defend heavy up front in Picardy and Burgundy, the Germans will attack one or the other and then mech into Paris.

This time Germany attacked with everything into Burgandy.  The French absorbed most of the attack with the fortresses and withdrew to Paris after one round.  The Germans then followed up with a mech attack with 2 Panzergrenadiers and the Luftwaffe into Picardy.

The French responded by counter attacking Picardy with 2 infantry and 2 armor units from Paris as well as most of the French and British air forces.  The Allies sent in 8 fighters and the Germans could have responded with 8 of their own, but chose not to.  The French armor mech moved back to Paris after liberating Picardy.  The British recalled some of the BEF to Cairo to counter the Italian build-up.  At the end of the Allied turn, the die roll for French capitulation was above a 2 and the French remained in the fight.

I think the die roll for French capitulation is the most important single die roll in the game.  Lets face it, this die roll not only removes all French units from the map, but sets up the pro-Axis Vichy units/territories and activates the Axis Minors (Rumania, Hungary, Bulgaria and Finland).  I would like to see a moral type system like the one developed for Italian surrender to be developed for France.  It would consist not only of territories that the Axis have captured in France, but also the amount of French versus Axis casualties, amount of BEF aid in France, whether Italy has declared war and any other factors that would affect the French moral.  Then when a certain moral point threshold is crossed, France capitulates.

Erc

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2007, 03:26:58 PM »
We are using the following optional rules for this game:

1) We are, for the first time, limiting the tactical range of aircraft (2 for fighters and 3 for bombers).  Although this is now a standard rule, we had been allowing in all of our previous games for fighters to move out 3 spaces to attack and then land with their last movement point, for example.

2) The optional Italian surrender rules.

3) Airbases.

4) Allied surface ships do not block Japanese naval movement during the turn that Japan has surprise over the Western Allies.  The anti-block Pearl Harbor rule.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2007, 01:53:41 AM »
Hi Eric,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you guys will have a nice long game this time - we will see. . .

I think you defended France just about the best it can be defended this time around.  The only thing I was saying above is given the current Fall of France rules (with the die roll) I would have thrown the whole French Army against Burgandy to try and take as many Germans down with me that I can since their is a chance of surrender - but I have seen it played both ways (actually, I think john usually takes the path that you did - sit tight and make them attack you and play the odds) - I just always count on luck going against me. . .

Let me think about ideas on an alternative French surrender - but France really is going to fall one of two turns- either Spring or Summer with decent play.  If they don't fall until Autumn it is a lot of ground for the Germans to make up (though I have seen them win a game or two with the French hanging in until Autumn).  So its a toss up whether we need to create a more sophisticated French surrender rule to determine Spring or Summer beyond what we have - but I hear you.   I think our original playtesting group was more into the drama around these die-rolls - that you never knew for sure what was going to happen.

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2007, 03:09:17 AM »
As the Germans (having never really played them as my true original country), I have made two small blunders so far.

The first was to not place at least one of my built fighters at the end of the 4/39 turn in the Ruhr to protect my Baltic fleet from air attack.  I was looking at the air units in France and didn't proper assess the use of the UK bomber in an attack on my fleet from the Home Islands.  Which means that Eric saw the opportunity to sink my transport, eliminating any amphib threat to the England and Norway.

The second was to attack Picardy with the two mech infantry effectively throwing them away.  I somehow had it in my head that taking the territory would cause the France surrender roll to be 3 out of 6, but I forgot that the roll is done at the end of the Allies turn, not the Axis. ::)  I wasted those units instead of getting them into position for the next attack.

Craig

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2007, 04:55:41 AM »
May all of your mistakes be so minor!  I think overall it looks like a pretty well played game by both sides so far.

I think you will discover that the air range and airbase rules will add a lot to the game in Asia Pacific and North Africa.

Let me know what you think of the Italian surrender rules.

I think, Eric, that your Pearl Harbor rules are a better alternative than what I put in the last edition of the rulebook - I think I will have to change this back to your suggestion for the basic game.

Mark