Author Topic: German submarine Anti-Aircraft guns  (Read 3750 times)

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
German submarine Anti-Aircraft guns
« on: August 09, 2014, 03:28:46 AM »
 8)

Looking at the stats , i wonder that the subs have 0 anti aircraft defense while beeing very effective against planes
U-Boats were not defenseless, since their deck guns were a very good anti-aircraft weapon.
U-boat-successes against aircraft

Around 120 aircraft were shot down by U-boats for the loss of roughly 30 U-boats either sunk during the attack or due to being located by other forces shortly afterwards and sunk.

One source says that RAF Coastal Command (U-boat hunters) lost 700 aircraft (badly damaged, shot down and paid off) and sank 220 U-boats during the war. I've been unable to verify the RAF losses but the U-boat figure is about right it seems. These figures show the immense effort put out by the British to hunt down the U-boats and almost all the aircraft successes took place in 1942 and later. In 1939-1941 only some 2 U-boats were sunk by aircraft (31 in 1942 alone).

Should'nt we rethink that and give them a AA 1 value ?

Source:
http://www.uboat.net/technical/flak.htm
http://www.uboataces.com/weapon-antiaircraft.shtml
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:24:27 PM by Darkman »

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: German submarine Anti-Aircraft guns
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 04:06:28 PM »
I'm open to it.. up to Mark - I think he is away - so may be a bit before he gets to your questions

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:32:48 PM »
We could also say:
They start with value of 1 and in late 1943 (Autumn 1943?) all submarines are upgraded to a value of 2.

If the submarine decided to use AA, the attacking plane \ ship uses it's bombing\attack value rather than the hunter killer table

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 03:23:49 AM »
The HK table reflects this dynamic. AA value of 1-2 can only result in returns so why not create ONE HK roll to reflect everything. We were thinking the game is long enough  ;)