Author Topic: What is the unit scale?  (Read 4106 times)

Haskell

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
What is the unit scale?
« on: August 09, 2007, 03:29:43 PM »
Does each piece represent a certain number of planes, tanks, soldiers, etc? Or divisions, corps, and brigades, etc? Or is it more general like A&A?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: What is the unit scale?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 03:58:10 PM »
There is a rough scale to the units (and it is outlined in the introduction section of the rulebook).  Unit scale varies based on unit quality, leadership. morale, etc.  - but, each infantry unit represent between 30,000-50,000 men (2-5 divisions based on nationality and quality (about 5 Soviet divisions, but about 2 U.S. or 1939 German divisions).  Each armored unit represents 300-500 tanks (again about 2-5 divisions worth).

Carriers and battleships represent between 3-5 ships.  air units represent between 300-500 active combat aircraft.  Cruiser units represent 9-15 light and heavy Cruisers.  Destroyers and subs represent between 24-40 ships/boats.

Haskell

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 08:00:11 AM »
Well, that sells me on the game then.  My friends and I play another game with a similar unit scale, and I didn't want to move to far above or below that scale.  Thanks for the info! I'll definitely buy the game now, probably sometime in September.  :)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 09:20:58 AM »
Great to hear - a couple things to consider:

The game is best played with 5-6 players.  We have gotten good enough and quick enough to play it with 2-3 - but it is really a big game and a lot to manage with just 2-3 people (unless you want to play just one theater - like just Europe). so, ideally you have at leas t3-4 like-minded friends.

Also - you should download the rulebook off of the "Living Rules" section of the forum to get a sense of the game and the complexity level.