Forum Index > Introduction

Alternating Movement Concept

(1/5) > >>

Mark:
So, one of the rules ideas we have been testing for this big game is an "alternating movement / simultaneous combat" system.  It adds a very interesting dimension to the game - but takes a little while for new players to get used to.  So it has some pros and cons.  The more I play with it, the more I like it.  But, we are still torn as a group whether we should keep it or go back to a standard “you take your turn and I take mine” model.

Here is a rough outline of the idea here:

1.  Everyone Builds units and places Lend Lease points
2.  Everyone collects income for owned territories (not for Lend Lease points yet)
3.  Everyone sets aside strategic moving ground units

4.  Movement Phase
Determine initiative by theater (Mediterranean, Western Europe & Eastern Front)*
Each side rolls a d6: The side that took the most territories, won the most sea battles in each theater wins ties. The initiative winner may either accept the initiative or decline the initiative to his opponent.

* Initiative winner draws chit first for his theater, then initiative loser

There are 5 chits (4,3,2,1,0)

Initiative winner Chit value or higher armies/navies can move into combat or friendly movement

Leaders have an initiative value of 1-4. After the initiative winner draws a chit and moves, the initiative loser draws a chit and moves.

Leaders that have moved friendly are flipped over – all units in a flipped over leader territory are considered moved (so, if a leader moves into a territory that has unmoved units – those units lost their movement).

Activated leaders activate to move into a territory the leader moves into and bring units with him. The "0" chit is for all moves without leaders. (i.e. Leaders activate and move, bringing units with them – units may not move into a territory that their activated leader did not move into.  These units would have to wait, instead for the “0” move chit to move independently into a territory the leader did not move into).

Continue until all 5 chits are drawn.
Marking Attacks
When a player moves his units into an enemy territory (even if unoccupied) it is considered an attack and is marked with the attackers round control marker (add a control marker for each multiple territory the space is attacked from in order to keep track of Flank and Salient attacks).

Reinforcing Attacks
If a territory or sea zone is attacked, the ‘defender’ may still move units into the embattled territory, but any additional defending units must be placed as Reserve for the battle and may not be front line (or support for artillery) on the first combat round.  (To be discussed in another post)

Mark:
So - I understand that description is a bit rough and perhaps hard to follow - but the idea is this:

A high initiative leader like a Guderian or a Patton have an initiative value of 4.  Poor leaders, like early French and Russian leaders have an initiative value of 1.

So, what players do is draw (blind) a chit - that is numbered 0-4 on its flip side.  Players can move leaders and the units with them that have an initiative value of the chit drawn or higher.

So, a 4 initiative leader has a lot of flexibility - since he can move on any chit draw, he can either move first in a turn or wait to see how things develop and move last.  1 initiative leaders have less flexibility and have to move either on a 0 or a 1 chit.  units without army leaders can only move on the 0 (all move) chit.

This makes for very interesting play.

Once all the chits are drawn, players resolve combats.  So there is really only on mega turn of movement and combat every game turn, not an Allied turn and an Axis turn - it is all done at the same time.

kriegspieler7:
Interesting Mark.  Do you have suggested values as well as a list of different combatant CO's of the different belligerents?  And, are these just generals of army, or do admirals and generals of the Air Force count? 

Just thought we'd get your take on this.  I'd like to see leaders from each branch of the services, myself, but that's just me.  Maybe a generic leader or set of leaders for the other different areas would be included?  Okay?

When you can.

Mark:
Here is a current sheet of leaders for the game. Just prominent players to give flavor to the game - not every army commander or fleet admiral is represented of course - but enough to make it interesting.

[attachment deleted by admin]

kriegspieler7:
Cool! 8)  Thanks! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version