Author Topic: French Moroccan loophole?  (Read 3871 times)

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
French Moroccan loophole?
« on: February 25, 2008, 05:05:11 AM »
I came up with something fairly sneaky last week, and after talking to Peter about it I think a change/clarification to the rules may be in order.

My idea is to have Britain build and send a couple of armor and infantry to French Morocco as quickly as possible. This gives Britain two options. They could either occupy all of French North Africa before France falls, which would then deprive Germany of the income (and set Britain up to hit the Italians from both directions when they come into the war), or just occupy French Morocco, and then when France falls you immediately attack in North Africa. With armor in French Morocco you could take two territories on the first turn of attack and begin forcing surrender rolls for Vichy; this also means that you could take the valuable airfield in Tunisia the next turn. I think this tactic has the potential to upset play balance in the Mediterranean, and it isn’t as if the Axis doesn’t have enough problems there as it is.

Although Britain and France were allied, France would have been very suspicious if Britain had wanted to deploy troops in French colonial possessions – I seriously doubt that they would have allowed this. My suggestion is to amend the rules so that Britain cannot deploy troops in any French territory other than mainland France until France falls.
"Peace through superior firepower"

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: French Moroccan loophole?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 05:30:53 AM »
Bob - you are right and we came across this same potential loophole a while ago.  I think it is addressed in the France and Vichy France section of the rules on page 34.  Brits can't land in French colonial possessions until after France falls.

Mark

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: French Moroccan loophole?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 05:44:40 AM »
OK, I found it - it's actually on page 33 in the second paragraph of France & Vichy France. I didn't see it before because I was looking at the rules for surrender and Vichy. So - never mind...
"Peace through superior firepower"