Author Topic: Questions on Italian morale  (Read 8072 times)

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Questions on Italian morale
« on: January 17, 2008, 09:36:29 AM »
We started a new game last night and are trying out the optional Italian morale rules, and I have a couple of questions.

Italy has been kicked out of Africa, and currently stands at -5 on the morale table, which means that all of their units are treated as being out of supply.

1) Rules for being out of supply state that units that are OOS cannot make amphibious invasions. Could the Germans use Italian transports to make amphibious invasions in the Med, or does the OOS situation prohibit using the Italian transports?

2) Same question as above but for paratroops (Italian bomber dropping German paratroopers).

3) This level of morale indicates that Italian units that are outside of the Mediterranean Theatre immediately surrender. Probably a dumb question, but I assume that this would also prevent Italy from deploying any units outside of the Med until/unless their morale gets back above -5 since they would presumable desert immediately upon leaving the Med?

4) Does the OOS situation of the Italians impact Germany’s ability to trace supply through Italian-controlled territories (I am assuming it does not)?

THanks - Bob
"Peace through superior firepower"

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on Italian morale
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 11:24:56 AM »
1) Base rules for supply state that naval units are always considered to be in supply, but I could see where this could seem strange if the land and air units in the home country are considered out of supply.

2) I didn't see anything in the rules that states that an OOS Bomber couldn't perform a paradrop.  It probably should. 

3) Good question.  I would think that it would be apparent to the Italian player to not move out of the Med. theater because of this, but you never know what the situation is.  It just might come up in the course of a game.  It should be covered.

4) It shouldn't matter since you are just tracing back through the affected territories to your own production centers.

Craig

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 03:42:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply Craig.
1) Base rules for supply state that naval units are always considered to be in supply, but I could see where this could seem strange if the land and air units in the home country are considered out of supply.
This is something that has bothered me since I got the game. Since ships are always in supply it sometimes leads to some rather questionable handling of fleets when they are cut off from a base. Watching a fleet that’s out of supply just steam around and engage in battle after battle with no ill effects just really bothers my sense of realism. It also makes me wonder just where they’re getting the fuel they need for all this steaming. There is an excellent article on www.combinedfleet.com (http://www.combinedfleet.com/guadoil1.htm) where the author postulates how oil (or the lack thereof) impacted Japanese naval strategy in the Guadalcanal campaign.

He uses a Hatsuharu-class DD as an example. With a fuel capacity of 500 tons of fuel, cruising at 15 knots gives it an endurance of roughly 400 hours. Of course, you can’t fight a battle at 15 knots (not for long, anyway…), and at its flank speed of 34 knots its endurance drops to 30 hours as its fuel consumption goes up by a factor of 13. In other words, it goes from having enough fuel to steam for a little over 2 weeks to having enough to last a little over a day – and we’re talking about a game where turns are several months. Even steaming at 15 knots means that this DD would have to refuel at a minimum of six times in a three-month turn; again, just where are they getting all this fuel?

This is why I strongly feel that something needs to be done in regard to fleets that are out of supply. I’ve had games where I took Gibraltar and the Suez, and yet the British fleet trapped in the Med was able to cruise around for several turns and fight several battles. In real life they simply could not do this – with no supply line they aren’t going to have the fuel, and with even the most liberal of concessions they would be out of fuel the next turn. The only thing they could do is steam for any port they may still control.

Another example would be Hawaii. If Japan had been able to take Hawaii the US fleet would had to have retreated to the West Coast and would have been severely limited in how far they would be able to operate from there; in the game, Japan can take Hawaii – and the US can steam around the central Pacific unaffected.

I’m not sure how to address the issue, but I’m convinced that it does need to be addressed. Possibly saying that a fleet that is out of supply cannot make attacks would help. Another idea might be that a fleet can only operate a certain distance (in sea zones) from a friendly island or territory that is itself in supply. A fleet that is cut out of supply would have to immediately move to re-establish a line of supply.

This may not be an issue for some. For me, the fairly high level of realism the game simulates means that it should be addressed.

As to these optional morale rules, the easy answer is to just say that naval units are unaffected (per the regular supply rules).

2) I didn't see anything in the rules that states that an OOS Bomber couldn't perform a paradrop.  It probably should. 
The reason I bring up these first two questions is that I’m trying to determine the intent of the rules regarding the forbidding of amphibious invasions or paradrops by units that are OOS. I also don’t think this is specifically addressed in the rulebook, and so a ruling is needed. For whatever it’s worth, I think the Axis out to be able to use Italian units that are OOS to land German troops; otherwise, once Italy is out of Africa they would never be able to get back in.

3) Good question.  I would think that it would be apparent to the Italian player to not move out of the Med. theater because of this, but you never know what the situation is.  It just might come up in the course of a game.  It should be covered.
The group I gamed with 20 years ago had a couple of guys who were absolute weasels who would stay up nights trying to figure out ways to abuse rules to their advantage. I think they got more enjoyment out of all the arguing than they did from playing. That experience has caused me to try and see potential issues ahead of time and ask for clarification. The guys I game with are great guys, and I’m confident they would agree that Italy couldn’t use troops outside the Med in this situation, but random guys at a game club meeting might be as logical.

4) It shouldn't matter since you are just tracing back through the affected territories to your own production centers.

Craig
I agree.

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 07:25:08 AM »
I had lunch with Peter and we came up with two more questions regarding the optional Italian morale rules:

1) When does the Italian surrender take effect if they get to -8? If the Allies take a territory that gets the Italians to -8, is surrender immediate or does the Axis get their half of the next turn to get back above -8?

2) In our current turn Crete is in Italian hands. If the Axis player wants to build an airbase there can Germany pay for it or does Italy have to buy it since the territory is Italian? Since in the rules Germany cannot give Italy any income I assume that Italy would have to pay for it.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 08:49:32 AM »
Hi Bob,
     I am back  :)

Ok

Italian surrender is immediate.

Germany can pay for it if a German Unit is present on the space.

Mark has been away for a while so he should be responding to other questions shortly.

Also - there is no reason why you can not implement house rules concerning supply for ships. Try it out. If they work well - we can always incorporate them into the game.

John

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 09:20:53 AM »
We started a new game last night, and (as usual) a couple of questions came up.

1) The first one concerns strategic bombing attacks. On page 28 the rulebook reads, “The defender may intercept strategic bombing attacks with planes in the attacked territory as well as defending planes adjacent to the attacked territory.” What if a bomber flies over a territory containing a fighter, but bombs a territory that is not adjacent to that fighter? Would that fighter get a chance to fight the bomber as it flew over? Common sense would seem to indicate that it could, especially since if it were an AA gun it could shoot at the bomber; on the other hand, I can see why it shouldn’t be able to for game balance purposes.

2) In all probability Jason (the Axis player) will invade Spain next turn. The rules say that if Spain enters the Axis Germany may build one infantry per turn in Madrid. If Germany invades Spain, does this then allow Britain to build one infantry per turn there instead?

3) I’m still curious about my question from another thread – why isn’t Slovakia a production territory for Germany? The Skoda works there produced tanks, assault guns, artillery, and small arms during the war. Shouldn’t this be a production territory for Germany – or is there a game balance reason behind this?

Thanks - Bob

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 02:55:06 PM »
Hi Bob - I believe the Skoda works were in Bohemia (the Czech part of Czechoslovakia)  - one of the reasons Bohemia was given a higher PP value was because of this.  Actually, before the war, the Czech economy was one of the stronger states in Europe - but most of the Czech economy (even today, though they are seperate states) is in Bohemia rather than Moravia or Slovakia - Slovakia is pretty mountainous with a much smaller population and fewer medium and large cities when compared to the large industrial cities of Bohemia like Prague, Budweis, and Pilsen.

Mark

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 03:11:48 PM »
To be consistent with the defensive air rules, defending planes can only react to adjacent territories being attacked - so whether it is strategic bombing or regular ground support bombing (it does not matter if the bombers fly over the territory) - defending fighters can only react to an attack this is in or adjacent to the territory that they are in.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 03:14:13 PM »
Good question with respect to Spain (and Turkey). . . though the rules do not address it, I think that Spain and Turkey are big enough that they should allow whoever their ally is to build an infantry unit in the designated territory, allied or axis.

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 04:29:00 AM »
Another question I thought of – can planes based in French Morocco react to an attack on Gibraltar? The fact that there is a sea zone between them would seem to say no; on the other hand, the Strait is only 8 miles across, so a logical argument could be made that planes in FM could react. 

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 01:53:28 PM »
No- Planes can not react from FM to Gibraltar. Again house rules can change that. ;)

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 02:07:32 AM »
No- Planes can not react from FM to Gibraltar. Again house rules can change that. ;)
I mis-spoke - it should have been SPANISH Morocco, though I assume the official ruling would be the same.

Another question - in our current game France surrendered before Germany actually took Paris. Would the US still draw a card in this situation when Germany occupied Paris?

Next, a thought on Italian morale. I was talking with Peter last night, and we think that the rule should be modified so that when the Italians reach the -5 to -7 level on the morale chart their ships should all have a -1 to their combat value (also 1 less AA per ship, down to minimum of 1). Our reasoning is that this is not a supply situation (that currently doesn't affect ships), but a morale problem, and the navy would be just as demoralized by events as would the ground and air forces.

Finally, it's February 1st - isn't about time to take the "Happy Holidays" off of the "NEWS" header? Unless, of course, you're trumpeting the arrival tomorrow of Groundhog Day (still one of my all-time favorite movies)...

Bob

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 04:27:07 PM »
Forum news= fixed! (at least for a week).

The US draw for Paris should be:"When France Falls"instead of Paris occupied- that is sloppily written.

Yes - all Italian units should be -1 - including ships.  I wrote it as out of supply to try and make it simple, but that disregards ships - and I agree that shipsshould be -1 as well.

Keepthe rules consistent with respect to air units - only adjacent spaces canbe reacted into (so planes in Spanish Morocco could not react to Gibraltar).