Author Topic: A question on naval combat  (Read 3990 times)

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
A question on naval combat
« on: August 15, 2007, 04:26:01 AM »
We started another game last night, and so far it looks like a virtual replay of the first game. As the Axis I again took France but only after horrific casualties. I’m beginning to wonder if we’re doing something wrong, because it seems in every game France gives the Axis all they want no matter what builds or combat strategy the Axis uses. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that the dice always seem to go France’s way.

Anyway, as Italy I’m running wild again, and I have the British Mediterranean fleet sealed in the Med after taking the Suez and Gibraltar in a very risky invasion. I know the rules say that fleets can’t be out of supply, but has anyone considered looking at this again? A fleet in this situation can’t operate at full capacity indefinitely. At some point, fuel, food, ammunition, etc. are going to become a problem. I wondered if maybe there should be a die roll for this type of situation – say, -1 for each turn out of supply after the first, with an additional -1 for each combat the fleet engages in. If/when the fleet fails the die roll, it suffers the same out of supply effects as land units. This would give some urgency to the owning player to do something to re-establish a line of supply.

The game continues to be a blast; we’re enjoying it more each time we play. By the way, if anyone’s interested, I wrote a quick review of the game, and had a couple of long-ish posts about it on one of the Avalon Hill forums; if you’re interested, you can read it here:

http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread.php?t=22157

Thanks - Bob
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 04:28:19 AM by Bobsalt »
"Peace through superior firepower"

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: A question on naval combat
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 05:33:29 AM »
Hi Bob -

Thanks for the posts over at that Avalon Hill site! 

Now down to business. . .
OK, as for France:  France can be tough (but if it was easy, a 1939 game would not be as much fun, right?)  If you would like some tips on taking France out you can check out these posts:

http://www.ww2wargame.com/forum/index.php?topic=40.0

Here are a few other specific things to consider:
Build the first 2-3 turns to take France out: no subs.  fighters (2-4) and probably infantry and artillery with a little armor maybe.

Mass the Italians on the French border too - if the French don't defend the south - go in with the Italians in the Spring or Summer

On the first turn (Autumn 1939 - you don't need everything on the Polish border to knock Poland out - rail the artillery and a good chunk of the infantry to the French border and take out Belgium in the Winter to give yourself a little extra cushion.

In the Winter you can rail all of your armor that successfully knocked out Poland to Western Germany and then mech-friendly move it into Belgium on the mech phase to back up your infantry that took out Belgium.

Now your sitting with a big army in Belgium and most of your builds in the Saar when Spring rolls around (as well as a decent Italian army poised to strike Southern France). 

The French now have a bit of a dillema.  If they defend forward, pick the weakest territory, hit it, and then mech attack Paris.  If they defend back in Paris, take a couple of French territories and then hunker down for the French counterattack (which they almost have to do given they give up on a 3 out of 6 if you own two territories.  A good French player will want to take a few Germans down with him rather than risking his whole army going away for nothing).

Now the French counterattack is tough for the French.  Because, after the first round, the French really have to retreat back into Paris.  If they don't, the Germans should retreat (stranding the French army wherever they attacked the Germans and not in Paris) - this makes walking into Paris in the Summer easy.

Let me know what you are doing and I might be able to give you some other pointers.

As for out of supply fleets - let me think about your suggestion. . .I think a trapped fleet like that is pretty easy to take out anyway (surround it with Italian ships - so there is no place for them to retreat to and then just pound it with planes until it is gone).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 05:38:38 AM by Mark »

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: A question on naval combat
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:44:27 AM »
Bob, I would be curious to your approach of France. It sounds like the UK is stripping everything everywhere and putting it in France.

If that is the case - you will need to threaten the south of France with the Italians to force the Allies to spread out their defense if they defend up front. If you do go in with the Italians, remember to rail mech units to Milan then mech friendly move them into southern France to reinforce the mountain area.

There is usaully one weak spot and you should have plenty of Air superiority to boot.

Depending on things - you sometimes need a bit of patience. Take one spot and and let them hit you. That should hurt the allies more than you. Force the surrender roll.

I can't comment too much more without knowing what the approach is.

:)