Author Topic: Question about naval movement  (Read 4025 times)

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Question about naval movement
« on: July 13, 2007, 08:40:55 AM »
I have a question regarding naval movement. Is there a reason why the movement rates are less on the Asian map than the European one? I realize that the scale between the maps is different, but I don’t see how this would make a difference when you are talking about several months for each turn. Did something come up in playtesting that mandated this that just hasn’t shown up in our games yet?
"Peace through superior firepower"

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Question about naval movement
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:24:38 AM »
Read this thread and the explanation that Mark gives on this topic.

http://www.ww2wargame.com/forum/index.php?topic=46.msg248#msg248

Craig

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:08:41 PM »
Thanks for the link - I never saw this before.

Bob
"Peace through superior firepower"

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:29:39 AM »
Yeah Bob - the main reasons driving this difference was to prevent one fleet from being able to react anywhere in the Pacific - it seemed unrealistic that the Japanese could sit off the Marrianas and attack or defend just about anywhere.  It also forced more of an island hopping campaign and tended to spread navies out into 2-3 groups as well.  The different scale of the Asia/Pacific map helped justify the differences from the Europe map.

Strategic movement of 8 spaces still allows fleets to redeploy over the 3 months of a turn as well.

*We have been playtesting the Zones of Control idea and a forced naval bomber / naval fighter ratio (discussed in the optional rules section) - though not tested very extensively yet - they both seem to add more flavor to the Pacific battles too.   :D

cheers,
Mark