Author Topic: Rules Questions  (Read 4337 times)

aordolin

• Major
    • View Profile
Rules Questions
« on: January 28, 2007, 03:17:02 AM »
Hopefully Im not asking this agian but couldnt find it in another thread and was unclear on how it was presented in the rulebook.

1) AA/88s when deployed as AA guns agianst planes are they forced to stay in that role for the entire battle or can they switch to ground support in a later combat round?  And once they fire their 3 shots they cannot fire anymore in other rounds at planes?  If deployed as AA can 88s be taken as armor casulaties?

2)  What happens to the transport and the units on the transport if they cannot disembark at the end of a turn?  For example, lets say the americans are assulting the west coast of africa, a naval battle must take place prior to the landing which the allies lose.  The americans cannot land the troops because enemy surface vessels are still in the zone and there are no friendly spaces they can retreat to.  What happens to the transport and any ships that were held back the support the invasion?  Does another sea battle take place with the remaining ships or do those ships have to retreat from the zone or do they remain contest in the zone until the next turn?

3) Submarine combat.. it says "submarines get to choose their targets when the opposing side has no destroyers present at the beginning of the round"  So to make sure I have this clear, if destoyers are present they would roll last and NOT be allowed to pick their targets.

4) Lend Lease, All the lease spots are marked up to x amount of PP, except the hump, far east and persian convoys.  3 for 2, 4 for 3, etc.  Is that the max number of lend lease PP that can be given as the other zones?  Or could you put 6PP on the hump for 4PP to china and so on?

5) Japanese Paratroopers, It states Japan doesnt pay for Amphib Invasions but it doesnt say anything about Paratroopers.  I get the impression that they dont since they are conspiciously not mentioned when discussing it.  However please clarify if they do or dont pay for para drops.

Another big issue came up while we were in our game today that we couldnt resolve and had to stop until we got an answer.  Ive reread the sections over and over and just not getting it.  The example given is alot like out situation however It doesnt seem to jive with what I read above it.

Attacking over rivers.  In this instance the Germans invaded France through Burgondy, where they had 4 Inf, 5 Forts, 2 tanks, 2 artillery, and AA Gun.  The Germans attacked with 10 Inf, 6 Panzers, 2 Bombers, 5 Fighters, Stuka.

So when the Germans cross the river they should only have 5 Inf available for the first round.  It says in the rules that remaining panzers, infantry ( I am assuming the 5 that were halved earlier) have an attack value of zero.  Basically this seems like there are no front line units for the aircraft to support because all remaining units have an attack value of "0".  It doesnt sound like any units would have been supported since all the remaining front line units had combat values of zero.  What would have exactly been allowed to attack?

*edit* I think I understand now I guess sleeping on it helped heh.  The 5 finfantry plus 5 of the 7 bombers/fighters could have supportted the  first round of combat.  correct?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 01:40:41 AM by aordolin »

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Rules Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 05:34:33 AM »
Ok Here are answers! - Mark will incorporate these clarifications in the rules.

1) AA/88s can switch from round to round. They fire 3 shots EVERY round of combat when deployed as AA.  If deployed as AA can 88s be taken as armor casulaties? - no.

2) If you do not clear a sea zone (regardless of the number of naval combat rounds that it takes) prior to an amphibious invasion, then all naval units not participating in clearing the sea zone must retreat. Since a transport can not "hold" its cargo between turns, it must move and drop off at the nearest friendly territory.

3) - Correct

4) - Lend lease numbers shown are the maximum. That is, 4 for 3 is the maximum.

5) Everyone pays for paradrops.

6) Your "edit" is correct!

Let us know if there is anything else!

John

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 06:28:11 AM »
1) AA/88s when deployed as AA guns agianst planes are they forced to stay in that role for the entire battle or can they switch to ground support in a later combat round?  And once they fire their 3 shots they cannot fire anymore in other rounds at planes?  If deployed as AA can 88s be taken as armor casulaties?

Answers in this thread:

http://www.ww2wargame.com/forum/index.php?topic=120.0

2)  What happens to the transport and the units on the transport if they cannot disembark at the end of a turn?  For example, lets say the americans are assulting the west coast of africa, a naval battle must take place prior to the landing which the allies lose.  The americans cannot land the troops because enemy surface vessels are still in the zone and there are no friendly spaces they can retreat to.  What happens to the transport and any ships that were held back the support the invasion?  Does another sea battle take place with the remaining ships or do those ships have to retreat from the zone or do they remain contest in the zone until the next turn?

There would be a sea zone to retreat to, in fact there would be a path of friendly sea zones all the way back to the territory that the ships started next to.  That is because you would take control of any sea zones that you pass through on you way to the battle.

Craig

aordolin

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 09:28:26 AM »
Thanks for the answers but on question #2 my question was not so much if there was a friendly sea zone but a friendly land zone in an adjacent sea zone in which to offload.  In my example if the transport moved from east coast to morroco it has used all its movement to get their.  For the sake of arguement say gibralter is axis controlled and leaving the closest friendly zone to offload 3 zones away at Britian.  Are you saying the transport can move as many spaces as it takes even so far as to go 4 spaces all the way back to the east coast of usa?  Does only the transport make that retreat if thats the case or can the other surface ships retreat with the transport to whereever it must go?  Thanks agian for the response.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 09:53:34 AM »
A good question and one that needs to be clarified.  Per the rules on page 22 of the rulebook concerning Amphibs:

"If the attacking player is forced to retreat from the naval combat, transports retreat all the way back to the nearest sea zone adjacent to a friendly territory to unload their cargo. No units may remain on transports at the conclusion of the movement phase."

how I meant for this to be interpretted is that yes, your transports and their cargo would have to potentially retreat multiple sea zones back to a friendly territory to disembark their cargo.  Only the transports and their cargo potentially retreat multiple sea zones - the rest of your navy retreates normally.

Mark