Author Topic: Units  (Read 4278 times)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Units
« on: July 20, 2006, 03:33:18 PM »
Hey guys,
Here are a few questions concerning different units in the game.

1) Certain units are listed on the country charts as being available after a certain historical time.  The country chart talks about the early versions of these units can no longer be built. 

The question here is:  Does the early version of an unit that is on the map when the time frame is reached remain on the board?  Does it stay on the board in its present form or does it upgrade?

My personal interpretation is that it stays on the board as is.

2) Related to that is the question concerning other country charts that only talk about when certain new units are available and don't talk about other units being superseded by these new units.

I take it that is this case, the new units are in addition to the old units?

I would say that if it doesn't specifically talk about these units no longer being able to be built that they still could be built by the player.

3) The UK early naval fighter- I take it that the only kind of fighter that can be on a UK carrier before the specific date on the UK country chart is the UK early naval fighter?  After that date a normal UK fighter can land on a UK carrier?  Can the UK early naval fighter "land" in a land territory or must it always operate from a carrier?

That's what I can remember right now.  I am sure that more will come back to me tomorrow night.  It is a little tough to write these things down as they come up and try to be the information guy at the same time.

Craig

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Units
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 04:07:41 AM »
Yoper,

good to hear from you - here's some answers to your questions below - and I will clarify in the rulebook (and add it to other rough spots you have identified)

"The question here is:  Does the early version of an unit that is on the map when the time frame is reached remain on the board?  Does it stay on the board in its present form or does it upgrade?

My personal interpretation is that it stays on the board as is
."
It remains on the board as is - only the factories are upgraded - for example, the light tanks stay on the board for Italy but Italian factories begin churning out medium tanks in Spring of 42.

"2) Related to that is the question concerning other country charts that only talk about when certain new units are available and don't talk about other units being superseded by these new units.

I take it that is this case, the new units are in addition to the old units
?"
Yes

"I would say that if it doesn't specifically talk about these units no longer being able to be built that they still could be built by the player."
Correct

"3) The UK early naval fighter- I take it that the only kind of fighter that can be on a UK carrier before the specific date on the UK country chart is the UK early naval fighter?  After that date a normal UK fighter can land on a UK carrier?"
Correct - you can still continue to have your early war fighters on your carriers - but regular fighters can land on Brit carriers after Spring 42.

"Can the UK early naval fighter "land" in a land territory or must it always operate from a carrier?"
Nothing prevents them from landing on land - they can land on either carriers or land.

Hope this helps - good luck tonight!

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 02:40:53 PM »
Another unit related question along these lines:

If an early version of a unit is on the production chart but comes out after the switch over to the later version of that unit, does it still come onto the board as the early version of the unit or does it upgrade (during production) to the later version of the unit?

I figured that since you started it as the earlier version, it will come on to the board as that unit.  Only units started after the change over time would come out as the later version.

Craig

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 02:50:51 PM »
Right - you are correct. If it is on the production chart it is finished as that type of unit, it does not change into the more modern type of unit halfway through being built.

Therefore, if Italy has an early war (bi-plane) fighter on their production chart, it needs to be completed as a biplane fighter before the Italians have the manufacturing capacity to start building late war fighters.

How did Friday's game go?
Good luck at WBC next week!