Author Topic: Bf 109 vs Spitfire  (Read 4155 times)

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
Bf 109 vs Spitfire
« on: October 10, 2014, 02:54:03 AM »
Hey guys . Just asking..
Why is the spitfire superior than the Bf 109 in the game?
For the stats the german fighter was the better plane so you could also say they were equal.

What lead you guys to that decision?
Better Pilot Rotation? More aces ?

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Bf 109 vs Spitfire
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:55:58 AM »
Great question - Mark has the answer  8)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 02:46:47 AM »
The two planes were roughly equal early in the war, but were good in different areas- 109 was better in a straight line (speed, climb, etc.) while the Spit was better in maneuvering.

Later upgrades made the Spit much better while the bigger engines added to 109 did little to help an already aging design.  Added weight cancelled out any horsepower gains. 

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 04:14:54 AM »
I guess my take is that while technically the early war spitfires and me109s were comparable, by the time the Mark V and later spitfire models came out, they were becoming technically a stronger plane.  Add to that better training, fuel, logistics (parts, maintenance, etc) and I think the unit merits a better combat value.  Keep in mind that while the unit is represented by a miniature, it actually represents around 300 aircraft and everything around the combat aircraft.

I wanted to represent the general qualitative edge in airpower moving toward the Allies as the war progressed.  An argument could be made, however to have Hurricanes be a 4 air-to air and early war spits to be a 5 - but I think it is additional complexity that is not needed. 

Open to discussion and debate on the topic though - very much like your suggestion on the addition of the mechanized artrillery piece for the Germans. . .that came in very handy in the last game we played. . .

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 10:39:02 PM »
ok thank you guys , i give you right that the additional complexity shouldn't be added at this point.

But thanks for clarification :-)