Forum Index > WWII discussion forum

Soviet war entry

<< < (2/4) > >>

Yoper:
Here is my opinion as stated up in the General Discussion section in a different thread:

--- Quote ---I highly doubt that Stalin was going to attack (which is part of the basis of my discussions with Mark).

And if he was, then he deserved to be crushed because of his own stupidity.

His army wasn't in any shape to mount an offensive because of antiquated equipment and his purge of most of the effective officers.  Its inadequacies were exposed when the Germans attacked.

I could see the USSR demanding certain concessions (influence in places like Romania and Bulgaria) from the Axis as time went on, especially if the Germans hadn't attacked them and if the Germans were weakened by their activities in the West, but that doesn't mean they would be in a position to mount a full scale invasion.
--- End quote ---

Craig

RandR:
Both Hitler & Stalin knew a fight was brewing. Just like street gangs who've claimed their territory but what they have now just ain't enough!

Yoper:

--- Quote from: RandR on April 15, 2007, 05:05:24 PM ---Both Hitler & Stalin knew a fight was brewing. Just like street gangs who've claimed their territory but what they have now just ain't enough!

--- End quote ---

But in this case, knowing that a fight will eventually happen and/or you want more doesn't mean that it will happen soon or that you are actually ready to start a fight. :-\

Craig

Georgi Z:

--- Quote from: Yoper on August 07, 1975, 02:12:38 AM ---His army wasn't in any shape to mount an offensive because of antiquated equipment and his purge of most of the effective officers.  Its inadequacies were exposed when the Germans attacked.
Craig

--- End quote ---

I don't know if Stalin thought of the Red Army as out of shape and full of antiquated equipment and poorly led.  He had more tanks and planes than anyone, had just developed arguably the best tank of the war in 1941 (the T34) and had gotten rid of what he viewed as disloyal officers.  Rather than fearing for his life, he may have been thinking his army was ready to go!

Mark:
There was a lot of mistrust and uncertainty between the Soviet Union and Germany. 

As far as game play is concerned, I don't think you can just say, "the Soviet Union can't declare war" and give the Germans a free hand not to worry about them.  That is unrealistic.  Hitler was increasingly worried about the Russians and did not trust Stalin.  You have to model escalating tensions and uncertainty that existed - anything else gives Germany too much of a free ride to ignore Russia - which I think is really unrealistic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version