Author Topic: Optional Naval Rules  (Read 15019 times)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Optional Naval Rules
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 05:36:35 AM »
My only thinking about taking the aborts out of the hits side is that with your idea, there can still be those battles in which one side ends up with 8 of their 9 fighters getting killed and the other side losing only one or even none (and maybe a couple of aborts).

My idea takes some of those kills in a lopsided roll and turns them into aborts.  That sends some of those kills back home instead so that the shock of the ongoing battle isn't as traumatic as it is currently in the rules. 

Those fighters are no longer in the current battle, which give the one side an big advantage in any further rounds of that battle (if it continues).  But the aborted fighters will survive to fight another day.

Craig

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 05:13:19 AM »
I’m not sure if this is where this goes, but I wanted to ask about airbases. I noticed on the posted after-action reports that you’ve created markers for airbases. Any chance of making a sheet of those as a PDF available for download?

I think I’m going to suggest we use these rules in our next game. I wondered though what your experience has been in playtest. It seems to me that this largely benefits the Allies, especially in the Pacific. Japan is usually pretty cash-strapped as it is, and forcing them to pay for airbases seems like it might unbalance things. Has this created any balance issues in the games in which you’ve tried it?

As a counter to this, if we use airbases, we may try an optional rule to help the Japanese if it proves to make things too tough for them. The idea is this:

Long Lance Torpedoes – Japan had the best torpedoes in the world at the outbreak of the war, and were able to score hits at ranges not thought possible for torpedoes. In addition, Japan was very highly skilled at making night attacks. To reflect this, Japanese destroyers can make Long-Lance torpedo attacks. After setting up the naval battle board, Japan designates any destroyers that are using Long Lance torpedoes. The Japanese player designates his targets the same way as is done with aircraft, and rolls their attacks before any other surface combatant. Torpedoes hit on a 2 as normal and any damage is scored immediately – any ship sunk by a Long Lance attack does not get to return fire. Japan may make these attacks in any battle taking place prior to 1943; after that the growing number of Allied ships using radar helped offset this advantage.

If this rule proves to make Japanese destroyers too powerful, then adjustments can be made to require that Japan can only use this rule if it is the attacker in a battle, and/or state that any Japanese destroyers making Long Lance attacks do not count as a destroyer in battles where a submarine is present.

Your comments, thoughts, suggestions, threats, etc. are welcome.
"Peace through superior firepower"

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 01:00:26 PM »
Hello Bob,
    The airbase rules adds a strategic (and very fun) dimension to the game with out over complicating it. After over a year of playtesting, we have yet to find that it gives an advantage to one side. Remember - airbases can be overrun and used by the opponent.
     As far as the Pacific goes - carriers still rule as far a planes go. Try it and see. Regardless, the Long Lance Torpedo rules sound like fun!

John

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 08:36:33 AM »
Hey all,

i have some question about the optional ZoCs Rule

I hope you can answer them.

1)Sea zones are temporarily controlled if they are adjacent to an owning player’s cruisers or air unit (fighters or bombers).

Q: What about sea zones behind straights? Does only the owner of the straight exert sea zones behind straights , or both , or none?

2).  Zones of control prohibit enemy units from moving strategically into, out of or through them as well as block supply.  Overlapping zones of control prohibit strategic movement and supply for both sides.

fixed question... well i read the advanced game rules and it seems to be fixed. You can now move out of the enemy Zoc and you don't get a overlapping Zoc if you have a surface combat unit present... GOOD :)

I asked this because in an early game it is very easy for the british fleet at Scapa flow to put Norway out of supply.

3) Do you ever thought on a "Sea Patrol" rule ? Axis & Allies Pacific had it where not moving Air Units can do Sea Patrol. (Allowed to instantly attack enemy moving ships adjacently to that air units)

Thx :)

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 09:15:36 AM »
So cruisers exert a ZOC through a straigt as long as it is friendly owned. Owning the land territories around the straight does not exhibit a ZOC.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 06:16:02 AM »
just to clarify - your cruiser does not extend a ZOC through a straight unless you control the land territories that control the straight. . .

Have not thought about the sea patrol idea.  To be honest, we started developing this game before AA Pacific came out - so I never played it  :o

But it is an idea. . .and is worthy of some thought and discussion. . .
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 06:17:41 AM by Mark »

qxxx

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 10:51:18 AM »
My 2 cents
I don't use the rule, because i agree that it favors the Allies - look where the starting airbases are.
What about destroying an airbase with strategic bombing or restricting the aircraft allowed after the bombing.

I think the downloadable Naval Stats on the forum are excellent. I use them in my games.
Capturing an airbase should damage it also, however 5pp to repair is a bit much, when it costs 5pp to build a new one.