Author Topic: Optional US Entry  (Read 16330 times)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Optional US Entry
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 09:05:08 AM »
 A couple of things I just remembered.

1) On the US Chart:

"Draw 1-  For every UK territory other than London occupied by the Axis"

We interpreted this to actually be refering to any other UK Home Island territory.

Are you meaning this to be for any other UK territory on the map?

2) Also, because we are using the optional rules as to when the US and the USSR come into the game, we have suspended the application of the VP chart until the Japanese are in the war. 

When they join the war we will then apply the conditions that are applicable for that time on the chart.

The reasoning goes back to the idea that the arbitrary application of the VP chart to the game based totally on the historical timeline instead of the actual conditions on the gameboard will force the Japanese to enter the war by the Spring of '42 instead of when they want to.

Craig 

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 09:07:44 AM »
Tell Mark that placing the Tension Charts in a jpeg image makes it impossible to cut and paste the information for editing purposes. >:(

How am I suppose to fix the charts to incorporate the errata for our own play purposes? ;)

Craig

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 09:32:04 AM »
A couple of things I just remembered.

1) On the US Chart:

"Draw 1- For every UK territory other than London occupied by the Axis"

We interpreted this to actually be refering to any other UK Home Island territory.

Are you meaning this to be for any other UK territory on the map?

2) Also, because we are using the optional rules as to when the US and the USSR come into the game, we have suspended the application of the VP chart until the Japanese are in the war.

When they join the war we will then apply the conditions that are applicable for that time on the chart.

The reasoning goes back to the idea that the arbitrary application of the VP chart to the game based totally on the historical timeline instead of the actual conditions on the gameboard will force the Japanese to enter the war by the Spring of '42 instead of when they want to.

Craig

1) Yes- It refers to Home Island territories.

2) Ok

Tell Mark that placing the Tension Charts in a jpeg image makes it impossible to cut and paste the information for editing purposes. >:(

How am I suppose to fix the charts to incorporate the errata for our own play purposes? ;)

Man, I don't know why he does a lot of the things he does... ;)

Erc

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 05:20:44 PM »
Along with the optional rules for USSR and US entry, perhaps the victory point targets should also be flexible.  I suggest having the targets start the turn after both the USSR and US are in the war.  That way Japan is not forced to attack the US in spring of 42 in order to include Japanese victory points into the Axis total to prevent a defeat.  (An item that Yoper brought to light in our Big Game in April)

The other effect is that if the USSR and US enter early, the victory point "clock" if you will, starts early.  For example, if the USSR and US both enter the war in autumn 41, then the victory point targets would begin in the winter 41/42.  They would then count down at the same pace ending in turn 24 rather than turn 25.  The opposite would then be true if the USSR and US enter the war later than they did historically.

The USSR seems to have the most of the control over when they are ready to go to war, while the US seems to be very dependent on Axis actions, especially Japan's.  Just an observation.

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 01:06:46 AM »
One big difference between the US and the USSR in our game is the pushing of factories.

I put a lot of emphasis on factory builds for the USSR and only did one for the US.  That is something that could have been done differently to move the US along.

Craig

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 02:45:38 AM »
Ok. It will interesting to see how it plays out for your group. We will be watching... ;D

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 02:33:07 AM »
Yeah - I am still not completely happy with the US and Soviet card drawing triggers - I think they need to be playtested and tweaked a little more before finalizing them. 

qxxx

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 03:55:08 AM »
I modified the Japaneese stats when playing with the tension levels.

I am testing/asking for suggestions of two choices - 24 (this gives the
production squares of 3, 9, 3) or starting with a factory (25). This is due to the
US getting a first turn (an extra 25 production points) and the requirement of
the frozen units on the Russian border (Artilery, Fighter, Lt Armor - this
represents 19 production points the Japaneese can not use, and the economic sanctions on tension level 1 and 2)

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 05:38:25 AM »
I modified the Japaneese stats when playing with the tension levels.

I am testing/asking for suggestions of two choices - 24 (this gives the
production squares of 3, 9, 3) or starting with a factory (25). This is due to the
US getting a first turn (an extra 25 production points) and the requirement of
the frozen units on the Russian border (Artilery, Fighter, Lt Armor - this
represents 19 production points the Japaneese can not use, and the economic sanctions on tension level 1 and 2)
If you are going for realism you should leave Japan's production where it is or reduce it a bit. Currently in the game Japan is able to do FAR more than they could historically. For a detailed but concise presentation of what Japan could and could not realistically do I'd suggest reading the articles posted on www.combinedfleet.com and then take a look at what Japan can do in The Struggle.
"Peace through superior firepower"

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 08:04:21 AM »
This is the revised tension chart for US and Soviet entry we have been playtesting with the advanced game.  It is a combination of drawing cards (once France falls) and tension points (which tell you what column you are referencing).  Once you have drawn enough card points for your tension column, you can declare war.

[attachment deleted by admin]