Author Topic: Complex sea battle  (Read 3968 times)

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
Complex sea battle
« on: August 09, 2014, 01:44:47 AM »
Hi guys,

i already fired questions on Mark about it but there is still a (simple) question.

Let say on an axis chit draw a german battleship group + cruiser is moving into the North atlantic (6 spaces strategically) to attack a convoy zone.
In the sea zone there are already 2 british destroyers that moved earlier(tactical 4 spaces) into that see zone to defend the convoys against raiders.

Seeing the german fleet, the british player decides to move a large battleship group into that sea zone (4 spaces tactical).

Q1: Does a strategic battle occur or is it only a normal naval battle?
Q2: Can the German fleet somehow split forces in order to do a strategic attack?
Q3: if it is only a normal sea battle because the british fleet intercepted the german raiders..
       Are only the 2 destroyers front and the british fleet must go intro reserve? (Later chit draw?)
Q4 If it is a normal sea battle, if the german fleet survives , is there still a strategic battle?

How do you guys play that scenario?

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Complex sea battle
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 04:23:12 AM »
Pump

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 06:28:21 AM »
So all of the British ships can elect to start a naval battle on any chit draw (most likely later - when they can get more ships in) - and the Axis ships can defend themselves. So this is a normal naval battle - up to 4 rounds of combat.

If the Brits don't elect to start a naval battle, if the Axis ships decide to conduct strat warfare - the Brit ships can opt to defend and a ONE round naval battle ensues. The axis ships can defend themselves OR conduct a strat attack (giving the Brit player a free shot at whatever Axis ships they want to attack) - NOT both. The German player can opt to split ship to do both - especially if they have more surface combat ships. If the Brits do not opt to defend - the German ships inflict economic damage.

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 04:01:22 AM »
Thanks John!

If the British start a Naval battle...is there still a rule that ships that moved into the sea zone to reinforce the battle, have to go into reserve ?

I would unterstand it so .. correct me if wrong please.

If the British move 2 Ships into a sea zone.. not starting a naval battle , and then later moving another 2 ships into that zone. starting a naval battle with the enemy.
Nothing has to go into reserve?. But if the first 2 british ships declared a naval battle and then two more ships moving into that zone.. then the later ships have to go into reserve?

If this is correct, what Advantage do i have when i declare an attack earlier?

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 06:12:53 AM »
You are exactly right with your understanding. In this case there is no advantage in declaring an early attack. The Brits control the timing of the attack because the axis ship moved more than 4 spaces and do not have the option to initiate a surface naval battle