Author Topic: New Rulebook , New Question  (Read 5300 times)

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
New Rulebook , New Question
« on: April 05, 2007, 08:39:31 AM »
Hi there , some questions to the new rulebook came up.

Airbase attack : Does Anti air units defend on an Airbase attack or doing "fly over" shots?

New Japan Homeland Value: Can they build up to 3 Factories now?
                                               Rulebook has only 3 or more , 6 or more , 12 or more

Soviet Draw Event : I guess it only means "If Axis fail to take Western Poland on first turn"?

Optional Rule with Damaged Ships:   
There is a text where it talks about damaged Japenese Carriers

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: New Rulebook , New Question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 03:22:12 AM »
Hi Darkman,

Some of the optional rules are not completely "baked" yet - so I apologize if some of the rules concerning them are a little confusing:

Regarding air-base attacks:  I think your question has to do with AA guns?  If so, AA guns are always allowed to fire at air units flying over their territory to a battle per the rules - this include airbase attacks.

New Japan homeland value: It would fall into the 6 or more category - so they could build 2 factories - but it would allow the US to draw more cards as a trade off.

Soviet event:  Correct: If the Germans fail to take out Poland completely in one turn, the Russians are left with a less than flattering impression of German capabilities and get to draw a card.

We have been playing with the optional rule on damaged ships for about a year - so I think it works pretty well.  In our playtest group, there has been a lot of discussion regarding Japanese carriers.   As a good compromise, we decided they should have two hits like cruisers - (so after one hit, battleships and US carriers have a 1 in 6 chance of sinking.  Japanese carriers and Cruisers have a 2 in 6 chance of sinking). Everything else is the same.

Does that make it more clear?

Looking forward to the next round of after action reports from Germany!

Mark

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 05:47:29 AM »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick answers

Still have two question about air-base attack.

A: Does Airbase attack only work on territories where a airbase is present.  (the one that cost 5 pp)
    Or on every territory where planes are present.

B: What if the AA Gun is in the Air-base territory ? Can the AA shoot on the planes before they attack the airbase? And if yes, can they do it every combat round?

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 07:26:20 AM »
Answers:

A) - Air base attacks work on any territory where air units are present.
B) - No. AA guns are not involved in Air to Air battles (which is essentially what an airbase attack is). Air units can be shot at flying over territories with AA guns on their way to an airbase attack.

Hope that clears things up.

John
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 10:53:23 AM by John D. »

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 08:39:45 AM »
yes - calling this an "airbase attack" may be causing confusion.  The idea is to be able to attack enemy air units directly.  It's kind of unfair that the defender gets to pick which battle to commit his air units to after the attacker has committed.  The airbase attack rule was put in place to allow an attacker with air superiority to pin and attack enemy air units on the front line.

It seems to work pretty well in the last few games we have played with it.

So think of it as "forced" air to air combat as an optional rule.

Mark

boersma8

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 10:17:03 PM »
Hi,

I have a copy of the rulebook somewhere, but as yet haven't purchased the game ( girlfriend!). Yet I do visit this site still occasionally and am currently also saving to purchase it in due time. I have another question which is undoubtedly covered in the rulebook, but I don't have it at hand at the moment and memory doesn't seem to serve either right now....

Are there any weather effects that play a role in the game ( e.g. Russian winter) or is this handled in a different way?

Thanks!

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 02:26:23 AM »
Hi

You can download the rulebook right off this forum under the Rulebook tab.

There are a couple Winter rules - some standard and some "special"

For example - it is a standard Winter rule that they are no mechanized attacks in non-Arid/Desert territories in the Winter.

There is also a 'Special' Russian First Winter rule that reduces German unit defense values by "1" within the 1939 Soviet Borders.

Cheers,
Mark