Author Topic: Front Line Unit Types  (Read 6243 times)

Wolf

• Major
    • View Profile
Front Line Unit Types
« on: September 21, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »
 ???

This is going to sound really stupid, but I have read through the rules pretty thoroughly, and do not see this information anywhere: 

What constitutes a "Front Line" unit?

I realize I have played nearly 2 years of a nasty war in China running on assumptions, and I think I did a pretty good job, but there are some "fuzzy" bits.  Here is my "interpretation", for lack of a better word:

All Infantry types are considered Front Line, remembering the special rules around Paratroops the first round they are dropped.

All Mechanized Infantry and Panzer Grenadier units are Front Line units.

All Armor Types are Front Line units.  - Except, here is the first "fuzzy" area.   What about StuG's?  Assault Guns?  Are the Front Line (they are listed as having Armor Effects, so my assumption is yes.  They were used a Tank Destroyers more often that Support Guns, and Support Guns were used up close and personal like, anyway).  Do they have an option?  Could they be deployed as Support Units?

My assumption is that SP artillery would be considered Support Units, but again, I just a little unclear on this.

AA Guns and German 88's get a Special Mention:
Resolve Anti-Aircraft Combat
If the attacker or defender has anti-aircraft guns or '88's with an AA value, they may elect to deploy them in front line or in support anti-aircraft mode. An unlimited number of AA units may be deployed as support units.
<break>
AA guns and 88’s may fire at ground units in the normal ground combat phase as front line ground units instead of deployed to fire during the anti-aircraft phase.  AA guns have a defense value of “3” and 88’s defend in ground combat with a value of “6* or less” (and 88’s are considered AT guns when inflicting casualties.

And that leads me to believe that AT guns are Front Line Units, as well.

All Artillery are Support Units (with the confusion about StuG's).  Does that count Katusha's as well?

It is my suggestion that you put together a small chart, in the Ground Combat area of the rules, laying out which units fall into what category, and listing any "either/or" units you wish.

PS: I want to state how much I REALLY like this combat system.  It solves a number of problems with the A&A "Dogpile" combat, and incorporates several really nifty combat options from the Europa style of combat, without going to the 3:1 combat charts.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Front Line Unit Types
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »
Great suggestion. At one point we were going to mark charts. So all of your assumptions are correct. Stugs are front line . Katuysha are support . Lmk if there are any other questions . Glad you like it. Thanks for all the support!

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 04:05:12 PM »
So - I am drafting the following to put in the rules - does this make it clear enough?

Front line units and support units
There are two types of ground units: Front line units and support units.  Front line units consist of all types of infantry (infantry, paratroopers, mountain troops), fortifications, mechanized infantry, panzer-grenadiers, all types of tanks / armor, STG Assault guns, Jagdpanzers, SU guns, and AT guns. Support units consist of artillery, heavy artillery, mechanized artillery, and Katyushas.  AA guns and 88’s may be deployed as either front line units or support units.  When deployed as support, they fire at enemy planes deployed as bombers or paratrooper transport planes per the AA rules below, when deployed as front line units, they use their printed combat values against ground units and may not fire at air units.

Wolf

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 03:51:07 PM »
 :)

Very Clear and Concise.

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 01:57:55 AM »
What!?!?!?!? :o

Mark wrote a clear and concise rule???? 

No way! :P :P :P :-*

Good job buddy. ;D

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
Wow - Yoper chips in. . . in your case, I am not sure if the problem is with the writing or with the comprehension. . .  :P   ;D

When are we going to get you in a game again?  How many trips to the Midwest do we need to make to get an East Coast trip in return?

Hoping to make it to a Con again next Summer - not sure which one yet though. . . .

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 01:22:41 AM »
I was thinking that John could get us some rooms in Rochester, NY as a half way meeting point and in doing so I could possibly get the other two goof balls to come along.

Think on it.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 12:21:27 PM »
Rochester - how far is that driving for you? 6 hours for me

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 01:29:52 AM »
Around the same.  That is why I picked it as the middle target.