Author Topic: Detroit Game #6  (Read 49011 times)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit Game #6
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2007, 06:22:37 AM »
Axis 1/41

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2007, 06:23:28 AM »
Allies 1/41

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2007, 06:24:01 AM »
Allies 1/41

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2007, 06:24:31 AM »
Allies 1/41

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2007, 06:25:34 AM »
Allies 1/41

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2007, 06:26:02 AM »
Allies 1/41

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2007, 07:38:09 AM »
Great pics - and it looks like it could be a good game.  It is within the Axis' power to still win or make it a close game that does not get decided until 1944 or 45.  I've seen the Axis in worse shape in Spring of 1941 and comeback.  You have taken some pretty tough hits though - losing a Jap carrier to the Flying Tigers is maybe the most significant. . .

Its time for the Axis to kick it up a notch though or you will die an early death instead of in your bunker in 1945! A couple observations (since you are worried about Axis longevity):

Italy MUST declare war and get into the conflict - keeping them out is going to hurt you more than help you.  They should have gotten into the war 2 turns ago - this is going to hurt.  Declare war and get their fleet in the Sicilian straights.  Fly as many German planes as you need to Med to scare the British senseless.

Move about 1/2 the stuff that is in Germany and France to Italy and the Med.  Don't give up on North Africa completely - it looks like you are writing it off. (Denmark, Holland, Belgium and Picardy are not threatened at all this turn - even if you took only 4-5 guys from there you could put them to better use somewhere else for example).

subs are a luxury item in your current status: Germany needs to be maxing out on Infantry, fighters, tanks, panzergrenadiers and Stukas if you are going to beat the Russians back to a reasonable degree and defend Italy and France.  I would not be spending too many production points on forts at this stage - unless they were in North Africa or Italy - fort that guy down in Tunisia and move 4-5 more Italians in then move a bunch of Germans to Italy from France and Germany.

Make sure your Japanese colleague takes and holds as many VPs as he can quickly - max his fighters, infantry and transports (or destroyers) so he can seize everything he can in the first couple turns.

Take advantage of the Russian redeployment to take all the territory in the middle and then rail more reinforcements to Romania.

Germany is still in the driver's seat for 3-4 more turns - don't let the British push you around.  You must outnumber the Brits in airpower - go after them down in the Med.  I don't think you have the luxury to just let planes sit idle in France  - you got to put more stuff to work for you.

and. . .Congratulations!  you are the first General on the site - I guess I need to salute you before making this post. . .
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 08:24:49 AM by Mark »

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2007, 09:29:39 AM »
Axis:

You actually look like you are still in good shape to move into Russia. You may need to look at out-manuvering them more than head on clashes. You want to force them to attack you. Conserve your resources! Defenders have the advantage if numbers are fairly even.

Remember 88s are nice to have in Russia just in case you need to reposition the Luftwaffe out of Russia to respond to a threat elsewhere....

John

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2007, 12:27:05 PM »
Mark-

Great pics - and it looks like it could be a good game.  It is within the Axis' power to still win or make it a close game that does not get decided until 1944 or 45.  I've seen the Axis in worse shape in Spring of 1941 and comeback.  You have taken some pretty tough hits though - losing a Jap carrier to the Flying Tigers is maybe the most significant. . .

Its time for the Axis to kick it up a notch though or you will die an early death instead of in your bunker in 1945! A couple observations (since you are worried about Axis longevity):

Italy MUST declare war and get into the conflict - keeping them out is going to hurt you more than help you.  They should have gotten into the war 2 turns ago - this is going to hurt.  Declare war and get their fleet in the Sicilian straights.  Fly as many German planes as you need to Med to scare the British senseless.

I disagree.  There was never a point at which it was advantageous to bring the Italians in.  The UK always had their fleet in a postion to severely punish the Italians.  Now bringing them in would open up those areas to UK exploitation, drawing off German resources that it doesn’t have.  It will be up to Martin to make the final decision concerning Italy, but it will not make much difference to the cause, IMO.

As for flying German fighters anywhere to scare the UK, I don’t have any German fighters left after my second attack on Picardy.  The air-to-air combat was six German fighters against five UK and three French fighters.  The first (and only) round of combat saw three hits against the WA but six hits against the Germans!  The Luftwaffe was no more. 

Move about 1/2 the stuff that is in Germany and France to Italy and the Med.  Don't give up on North Africa completely - it looks like you are writing it off. (Denmark, Holland, Belgium and Picardy are not threatened at all this turn - even if you took only 4-5 guys from there you could put them to better use somewhere else for example).

The “stuff” in France and Germany was there to deal with the threat of a UK amphibious assault.  Yes, he has shifted those transports to the Med, but if the Italians don’t come in, then it is a dead end for the UK.

Subs are a luxury item in your current status: Germany needs to be maxing out on Infantry, fighters, tanks, panzergrenadiers and Stukas if you are going to beat the Russians back to a reasonable degree and defend Italy and France.  I would not be spending too many production points on forts at this stage - unless they were in North Africa or Italy - fort that guy down in Tunisia and move 4-5 more Italians in then move a bunch of Germans to Italy from France and Germany.

The first blow to a concerted effort against the UK was the loss of my u-boat fleet in one turn.  I am trying to slowly to rebuild it, but I do understand that the window is closing on the time for it to be effective.

Make sure your Japanese colleague takes and holds as many VPs as he can quickly - max his fighters, infantry and transports (or destroyers) so he can seize everything he can in the first couple turns.

This is something that is totally out of my hands.  Besides some general counseling on my part, but I am leaving him to his own devices.  I am busy enough with my own problems that I didn’t even have a chance to see what was going on in his theater, so I didn’t see his CV hanging out with no fighters in the area to cover it.  He has to learn somehow, I sure am!

Take advantage of the Russian redeployment to take all the territory in the middle and then rail more reinforcements to Romania.

I would rather not go after the USSR at all, but because of the game mechanism allowing him to declare once the factories are in, I will have to attack if for no other reason than to try to gain some income.  I have only gotten into the 60’s for PPs the last two turns.  The UK has had as much as I have for most of the game and neutral USSR was not far behind.

Germany is still in the driver's seat for 3-4 more turns - don't let the British push you around.

I’m not.  It was the damn French that were gumming up the works!

You must outnumber the Brits in airpower

See comments above concerning Luftwaffe.

go after them down in the Med.  I don't think you have the luxury to just let planes sit idle in France  - you got to put more stuff to work for you.

With what?  I am not left with much with which to make a stand.  And definitely not in North Africa!  I would rather keep what I have left in France and in Poland.

And. . .Congratulations!  You are the first General on the site - I guess I need to salute you before making this post. . .

That’s nice, I guess.  I can talk about the game and post our pictures.  That’s not much of an accomplishment.  I am currently revising my personal ranking down into the 5.5-5.7 range with thoughts of going lower. 

Just wait, things will probably get worst.
:'(

John-

Axis:

You actually look like you are still in good shape to move into Russia. You may need to look at out-maneuvering them more than head on clashes. You want to force them to attack you. Conserve your resources! Defenders have the advantage if numbers are fairly even.

I will probably raid across the frontier looking for PPs but I can’t see much long-term success with a USSR getting its full production amount.

Remember 88s are nice to have in Russia just in case you need to reposition the Luftwaffe out of Russia to respond to a threat elsewhere....

You have to HAVE a Luftwaffe to reposition for this piece of advice to really mean something. ;)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2007, 02:00:01 PM »
Hey, just trying to help   ;)
Actually, I really wish I could jump in and help play the Germans!  I love being the underdog. . .I would fight it out all the way to the Reichstag. . .

At least you discovered the game is not weighted to the Axis to win   ;D

Looking forward to playing on the 20th!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 02:04:36 PM by Mark »

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2007, 02:21:57 AM »
No, it's not weighed for the Axis.

It weighed against anyone who plays opposite Eric! :o

My only win so far was when I was on his team.

Don't worry, I am going to drag this one out as much as possible to see how far I can get it to go.

Craig

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2007, 05:15:36 AM »
Can no one stop Eric!? He is a wargaming machine!  ;D 8)

Erc

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2007, 09:10:20 AM »
Hey!  I had nothing to do with Germany's plight in the current game.  Dan, playing the French High Command, deserves all the credit.  His strategy of making Germany fight their way into Burgundy, roll high enough to keep the French in the fight through the spring and summer of 40 and the strong defense of Paris in the autumn of 40 that resulted in very high German casualties has put the Allies in the drivers seat.

Vive la France!

Erc

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2007, 09:20:14 AM »
I am writting a simulation of the first 7 turns of the game as if I were playing all the major powers.  The purpose is to create an alternate summer 1941 scenario.  The issue that I saw with the current 41 scenario is that Soviet forces nearly match those of Germany while the Soviet Union is outproducing Germany.  Basically, I don't think Germany has a chance!  They will quickly hit a red wall and then be forced back to Berlin.  That is what happened when we tried the 41 scenario.  I am thinking that a balanced 41 start could get our group into the later stages of the war.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2007, 10:38:05 AM »
The 1941 scenario was built by simulating out the first 7 turns - so I'll be interested if you get different results.

Mark