Author Topic: Astrakhan  (Read 5887 times)

Wolf

• Major
    • View Profile
Astrakhan
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:36:04 AM »
Map Clarification: The border between Astrakhan and the Kalmyk Steppe and Dagestan is drawn as if it is a coastline. (the end of the Volga River)

Is this intended to denote impassible terrain?

PS: I just did the Google Earth tour of that region, and OMG what swamps! Bleaah!  I would guess the answer to this question is yes.

PPS: and yes, I have Germans down there, so it is important. The double mech move for Summer 1942 is kinda scary...

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Astrakhan
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 01:25:33 AM »
Yes - it is an extension of the sea zone. Ground units may not move over it.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 03:36:54 PM »
Axis units that far! IS something going to give? :o

Wolf

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 06:48:47 AM »
 :o  John,

If I wrote up the Eastern Front playtest I just finished (Not really finished, I think the Russians Rage Quit) I would have to title it "How NOT to play the Russians - A guide to losing the game in 10 Easy Steps!"

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 05:06:42 PM »
One note - I ALWAYS build 3 AT guns EVERY turn thru 1943...

Wolf

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 06:57:43 AM »
Yes.

Also,

Do NOT miss your max build of Infantry.

Do NOT get cocky, and counter-attack too early..

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »
Yeah, I do not know if there are any hard rules for the Russians - they need everything.  I like to try and build a lot of AT guns, AA guns and forts early in the game as I can.  I often don't max infantry, but try and build at least 8-10 once I am at war.  I think forts, AT guns, and AA guns are all key units. . . but the list goes on (Artillery is usually next on my list of priorities). . .

Wolf

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 06:06:20 AM »
One of the key mistakes I made, was to use the very precious Russian Armor to counter attack in Summer of 1942.  Dice went south, and the Russians withdrew, to preserve their armor.

BECAUSE they retreated from battle, they were not eligible to move during the Summer Mech Move.  This allowed the Germans to do all kinds of stupid things with their Mechanized units, without the threat of Russian Retaliation.

Also, if the Germans manage to take Moscow, the Russians can get it back, fairly easily.  Lots of places to bring up new units.

If they manage to take Leningrad, boy howdy is it hard to recapture...

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 06:34:02 AM »
Leningrad recapture - totally agree - makes it even more tempting for Axis...

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 08:56:38 AM »
Completely agree on the Leningrad vs. Moscow view.  I have taken Moscow the last two times I have played the Germans and I don't think it makes a big difference.  Usually, I can only hold onto it for a couple turns and the Russians are able to take it back.  Leningrad falling on the other had is a big problem - taking usually until 1944 to take it back and requiring air superiority to cut it out of supply so that the Soviets can storm the half dozen forts the Germans usually build to hold it. . .as the Soviet player, I would much rather over-invest in defending Leningrad and the areas around it and even lose Moscow (with the knowledge that I can take it back easier). . .

Mark