Author Topic: Updated British ETO Build Chart?  (Read 5872 times)

Wolf

• Major
    • View Profile
Updated British ETO Build Chart?
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:55:01 AM »
 :) 

Hey Guys.

Still having a great time with this game.  I had to junk my Eastern Front game, as I discovered I had shorted the Russians a lot of their IP. (if you count Poland and the Baltic States, they start with a whopping 121 after they are attacked.  Of course, they do not get to KEEP a fair chunk of that.)

Since I am playing with Unique Miniatures, and not counters, I have created Unit Identification Charts that I place my miniatures on, to indicate what unit they represent, and what those units values are. (if you want, I could attach jpgs of them.  I think they look very cool, but I am admittedly biased.)

However, in doing so, I noticed some discrepancies, particularly among the ETO British, between the build charts and the actual counters.

The Hurricane is listed as 5-2/4-3 on the Build Chart, and 5-2/3-3 on the Counters.
The Typhoon is listed as 5-2/5-4 on the Build Chart and 5-2/5-5 on the Counters.
The Mosquito is listed as 4-3/4-4 on the Build Chart and 4-2/4-5 on the Counters.

In all of these cases, I went with what is on the Counter over what is on the Build Chart.

I just thought you might want to update the Build Chart.

I am going to TRY to see if I can set up something for KublaCon in SF this year.  I will keep you posted.

Wolf

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Updated British ETO Build Chart?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 02:40:45 PM »
Great  catch - I will check with Mark on these!!!

Wolf

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 07:34:53 AM »
 ;)

Okay, now I am just being a pill.

I had to stop my Barbarossa test game because I discovered I had been shorting the Soviets IP.  A LOT of IP.

The production totals printed on the map are incorrect.

Russia has 36pts in 1pt on-map production areas, 36pts in 2+  on-map production areas, 8pts in off-map production areas, and 16 factories to start.

That is 36 + 36 + 8 + 32 = 112 production.  (this does NOT count anything in Poland, the Baltic States, or Finland).  I am going to make a Card to place over the map, where it says "68 on board, 8 Soviet Far East, 16 at start factories, 90 total".  (Not only is this wrong, it is not even internally consistent).

That is shorting the Soviets 22 production a turn!  Wow!  This is especially important when the Germans begin grabbing so much of the front-line production centers.  I was down to 40 production for the Soviets in 1942 (or so I thought), not realizing it should have been 62 instead.

If a lot of the other play-testers on this forum have been doing it wrong, as I have been, NO WONDER the Russians fold up like a house of cards.

If it is too difficult to actually change the map file, then I would put a PROMINENT errata listing under the Soviet portion of the rules.

Just sayin'...

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 02:15:11 PM »
OK - another good catch - that was overlooked from way back! I just made the changes on the map - do you need an updated map file?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 04:11:27 PM »

I am pretty sure the Russians have 80PP of territories to start the game with (72 on board and 8 off board on the Pacific map) plus factories.  They start the 39 game with 10 factories (8 on-board and 2 off-board) for a total of 20 more PP (or 100 altogether).  They start the 41 game with 18 factories.

Where are we disconnecting on totals?

Mark

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »
*agreed* with Mark . Don't see an map error on this !

But i would be happy if i can have an updated British chart sheet and updated vp count table (if Mark remembers ) :-)

Thanks

Wolf

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 08:22:15 AM »
Mark,

My apologies.  You are correct, there are 18 factories, not 16, for a 1941 start.  That is 116 total production for the Soviets in Spring 1941 (again, not counting production in captured territories). 72 on-map, 8 off-map for 80 + 36 in factories, for 116.

This is a big map (not a complaint.  I love this map), and difficult to accurately count.  I had to lay it out flat and empty, and use poker chips to correctly count the 36 1pt production centers the Soviets own.

When I started my playtest, I just glanced at the production printed in that upper box, assumed it was for 1941, and assumed it was correct.  This is an easy mistake to make.  It could trip up others, quite easily.

Then again, maybe I have an older file, and you are not seeing what I am seeing.  Mine clearly states "68 on board, 8 Soviet Far East, 16 at start factories, 90 total".

John,

No, thank you.  I do not need another map file.  I have printed mine on high quality outdoor banner material, and will be playing on it until it is quite ragged and worn out.  (It will take some time for that to happen, I think)