Author Topic: Invading the Low Countries  (Read 3946 times)

Wolf

• Major
    • View Profile
Invading the Low Countries
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:58:40 PM »
 ???  When the Germans invade Holland and Belgium, is there anything to prevent the French and British from rushing in to aid the battle, provided they still have a chit draw?

This could be real problematic for the Gerry's...

I know they would have to come in as reserve, but they could still mess things up real good.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Invading the Low Countries
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 08:46:59 PM »
ABSOLUTELY.  Once the Germans attack a neutral on a chit draw, the allies may reinforce on any subsequent chit draw.  This would, in effect, reflect the Allied Dyle river plan to reinforce Belgium on account of a German invasion.

Wolf

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 05:47:51 AM »
 :) 

I am doing a solo playtest to hit rules questions prior to rolling this out to my friends next weekend.

Because the Spring 40 chit 0 was drawn first, the Germans just rolled into Holland and Belgium.  This of course, left all the Allied Chit Draws for them to counter with, and they rolled right up into Belgium to meet them.

In the Battle of Flanders, the Belgium troops could not hold out long enough, and the massive French and English reinforcements did not arrive in time.

In the Ardennes, the Germans did not bring quite enough firepower, and the Belgium troops held out better.  Because of a little problem the the Home Fleet rushing out to defend Norway, portions of the Luftwaffe were busy.  The battle for the Ardennes ended with both sides losing all their Front Line troops in the same round, which if I remember correctly, is a victory for the defender.  Funny, the French Airforce (1 bomber and 3 fighters) may have decisive there.  Funny that...

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »
True -
The attacker always is forced to or has the option to retreat first, before the defender.  So Historically, how the invasion of the low countries would be staged in game turns is:  The Germans attack Flanders and Holland on an early chit draw.  The Allies move into Belgium to help defend it on a later chit draw.  On a still later chit draw the Germans attack the Ardennes with a strong army and many of their tanks.

As battles are resolved, the Germans (the attacker) retreat from the Flanders battle after the first round of combat, leaving the Allied army in control of Flanders.  In the Ardennes the Germans press their attack and take the territory.  On the mech move, the Germans mech attack Picardy and Northern France, thus isolating the British/Allied army in Flanders.

Not that is always happens this way when you play the game, but it could happen that way (and has occurred at least in one game that I have played).

Mark