Forum Index > Strategy Tips

Japan--General Strategy

(1/3) > >>

dtatum:
Any input from experienced players on Japan's early moves?  Move east, west, or south?

Mark:
Hi Don - hope to see you at Historicon!

As for Japan. . . Others will probably have other opinions, but here are mine:

Japan is one of the toughest countries to play, I think - you get stretched pretty thin.

If it is the 1939 game: I think it not best to get too bogged down in China - take the coast and smack the Chinese if they put themselves in harms way - but other than that, keep them back in the mountains - take Chungking if they screw up.

If the Germans and Italians are putting the heat on the British in the Middle-East - India and Australia might be the best places to go to get victory points.

I have not seen a Japanese strategy to go after Russia in a while.  The only victory point for Japan in reach is Vladivostok.  The Japanese might be stretched to thin to pull that off effectively - but who knows?  

I think it requires just about all of Japan's energy to seize islands and victory points in the Pacific and hang onto them as long as possible. But, there is not a cut a dry strategy for any of the countries, I don't think - a lot of balancing and reacting.  Anyone else care to comment?

John D.:
Hello Don,
     I would tend to agree with Mark. Going into Russia may not be a bad idea if you can catch the Russian player off guard AND Germany is putting A LOT of pressure on them, otherwise within a few turns of the Japanese declaring war on them, the Russians can put together a pretty sizeable force to initially stop Japanese advancement and eventually start an offensive front against them. Japan would have a tough time dealing with this AND the U.S. as well as keeping China contained. There are a lot of options for Japan without going into Russia. In this game - nothing is impossible - just highly unlikely...

Hope to get a game in with you at some point.- John

derdiktator:
Build fighters, build fighters, build fighters.  No joke - Japan can wind up with between 15 and 20 fighters by the time of Pearl Harbor. Unless the US starts to counter the move from VERY EARLY,  it's not until late '43 or early '44 that the US can even start to seriously contest the Pacific. 

Oh, and don't get sucked into China - clean up the coast and push the chinks back into the mountains as cheaply and quickly as possible.  Be grateful for every buck the US lend leases China the first year - painful though it may be, that's one buck stuck up in the mountains of China that was not spent to slow down early Nip pacific domination.

dd

John D.:
Hello derdiktator,
    Sounds like tough strategy to counter. Any ideas on what can the Allies do, the US in particular, to counter this?

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version